October 5, 2011

Todays Menu-Apple Brined Chicken Thighs

Well the seasons they are a changing.  I can't say I am not happy about this.  There cames a time I am just in the mood to cook differently.  I am very excited to share some of my new winter favorites.  This first one I made last weekend and it was a very big hit with my husband. 

Apple-brined chicken thighs

Here is what you will need:

3 cups apple cider or juice
1 medium onion, sliced
1 medium lemon, sliced
4 fresh rosemary sprigs
1/3 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 cloves garlic, minced 
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. whole peppercorns
2 cups cold water
10 bone in chicken thighs
1 2 gallon resealable plastic bag
Glaze:
1 tablespoon minced rosemary
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 tsp pepper


In a dutch oven, combine the cider, onion, lemon, rosemary, salt, 1/4 cup brown sugar, garlic, bay leaf and peppercorns.  Bring to boil.  Cook and stir until salt and brown sugar are dissolved.  Remove from the heat and stir in water.  Cool brine to room temperature.  Place chicken in the plastic bag.  Carefully pour cooled brine into bag.  Squeeze out as much air as possible.  Seal bag and turn to coat.  Place in a roasting pan.  Refrigerate for 2 hours, turning occasionally.  Drain chicken, place in a baking dish.  Bake uncovered at 400 for 40 minutes. Combine the minced rosemary, oil, pepper and remaining brown sugar, sprinkle over chicken.  Bake 15-25 minutes longer or until meat thermometer reads 180.
I served this with fresh steamed green beans and oven roasted baby red potatoes.    Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment