October 13, 2011

Todays Menu-Stuffed Cuban Pork Tenderloin

I really went out on a limb on this one. It was very much outside my comfort zone.  My husband is a bit of a picky eater so when I was telling him about it I tought for sure he would not like it.  Much to my surprise he loved it.  In fact he told me that when he was in college he worked at a car detail shop and for lunch someone would go down the street  and pick up Cuban sandwiches for them. I guess after 35 years of marriage I still don't know everything about him. 

You will need:
1 (1lb.) pork tenderloin, trimmed
2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
1/3 cup fresh chopped cilantro
3 thin slices swiss cheese
1/3 cup chopped bread and butter pickles
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

Preheat oven to 350.  Cut a lenghtwise slit down the center of the tenderloin two-thirds of the way thought the meat.  Open halves, laying the tenderloin flat.  Place the tenderloin between 2 sheets of wax paper; pound to 1/2 inches thickness using a meat mallet or heavy skillet.  Spread mustard evenly over pork.  Sprinkle with cilantro.  Arrange cheese and pickles over pork in single layer.  Roll up, starting with long side; secure pork with wooden skewers or cooking twine.  Sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper.  Place pork in a pre-heated  non-stick fry pan with a tablespoon of olive oil.  Sear on all sides, place in oven and cook until internal temp in pork reads 160.  Remove from oven and allow to rest for 15 to 20 minutes before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment