December 15, 2010

Tonight's menu - Mexican Cassrole

One of my co-workers brought this to a work potluck.  Once I had it I knew my family would love it.  I was right the first time I made it my sons said it was a keeper.  I have made it several times since then. 

You will need:

1 tablespoon oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb. ground beef, you could use ground turkey or chicken as well
1 can, 28 oz. tomato sauce
1 pint (2 cups) sour cream
1 pkg. Taco seasoning mix
1 4oz can diced green chilies
1 2 1/2oz can chopped black olives
2 7-8 oz pkg cheese flavored taco chips lightly crushed
1/2 lb shredded jack or cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350.  Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Brown meat, drain.  Add onion and garlic, saute stirring frequently.  Blend in tomatoes, taco seasoning, chillies, olives and simmer for about 10 minutes.  Spray 9 x13 baking dish with cooking spray (such as Pam) Layer 1/2 of the chips over the bottom of dish.  Add meat mixture then 1/2 of the cheese and sour cream.  Top with chips.  Bake until heated through about 30 minutes.  Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake until cheese melts.  Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment